Mum sues NHS for £300,000 after her baby who she was told had died, was found alivePA

A mum is suing the NHS after her baby, who she was told had died at birth, was found alive and gasping for air.

Rebecca Hidle, 31, from Lutterworth, Leicestershire is seeking £300,000 damages from the NHS over the birth of her daughter Megan, now five.

Megan was born at Leicester Royal Infirmary on October 31, 2006 after an emergency C-section.

During the C-section, an obstetric registrar found it impossible to deliver Megan's head. A specialist enlarged the incision, but Megan was born floppy, with no signs of life, and doctors stopped resuscitation efforts after trying to save her for 13 minutes.

Half an hour later, Megan was found by the neonatal registrar looking pink and taking breaths.

Her mum and dad, who believed their little girl had died, were told she had a 50/50 chance of surviving the day.

Megan suffered brain damage after being starved of oxygen during her birth, and now has cerebral palsy. She takes medication for frequent vomiting and is at risk of scoliosis and epilepsy.

Rebecca says that without medical negligence, Megan would have been delivered alive and unharmed. The University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust admitted negligence last year.

Rebecca is seeking provisional damages of £300,000 for her daughter, and an order which would allow her to return to court if Megan's condition deteriorates.

What a terrible experience. We wish Megan and her family all the best.