Treat mum to breakfast in bed this Mother's Day, with these delicious American-style pancakes flecked with juicy blueberries.
Give the kids a whisk and let them knock up the batter for a fun Sunday morning kitchen activity.
Or you could prepare the batter the night before and add the blueberries at the last minute before you serve them up.
Try them with different fruits (frozen raspberries work well), or leave the fruit out of the batter and add a good pinch of cinnamon instead.
I think most mums would be delighted to see a stack of these goodies appearing at the bedroom door.
Makes approx 12
200g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
300ml milk or buttermilk
25g butter, melted
punnet of blueberries
oil or butter for cooking
maple syrup, to serve
1. Sieve the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt into a large bowl. Spoon out a well in the centre and pour in the eggs and milk. Whisk thoroughly until you have a smooth and thick batter, then beat in the melted butter in.
2. Gently pour in about a third of the blueberries to the batter and very gently stir.
3. Heat a large frying pan and coat with oil or a little butter. Drop a large tablespoon of the batter onto the pan to form a rough disc shape about 8cm across - depending on your pan you could probably cook about 3 pancakes at a time.
4. Cook for a few minutes, lifting gently with a palette knife or silicone spatula to check for a golden appearance underneath. Then turn and repeat on the other side.
5. Stack up on a plate, scatter with the remaining blueberries and drizzle enthusiastically with maple syrup and serve immediately.