'Fagin' beggars as young as three terrorise drinkers in Halloween costumes
Police and social services are investigating claims that modern-day Fagins are forcing gangs of children as young as three to dress as trick or treaters to terrorise drinkers to hand over cash.
It's claimed the children are forced to beg in the pubs by unscrupulous adults who later pocket the proceeds.
The alarm has been raised in Liverpool, where one landlady claimed her pub had been targeted several times.
Sue Bristow, landlady of The Grapes, told ClickLiverpool: "These young kids come in asking for money and are quite abusive.
"They run in the pub demanding money, and even spit at customers and myself. This isn't a place for kids, and their relatives are stood about six feet away watching them get money. It's horrible.
"It's not the children's fault. It's the adults who are forcing them to go around begging for money."
A spokesman for Merseyside Police said: "During the Halloween and Bonfire Night period the Force has an operation in place to deal with all forms of anti-social behaviour.
"Children entering licensed premises to ask customers for money is classed as anti-social behaviour. Pubs and bars have conditions attached to their licences that include not allowing unaccompanied children and, in some cases, anyone under the age of 21 on their premises.
"Licensed premises that breach these conditions risk having their licenses reviewed or even withdrawn."
More on Parentdish: Trick or treat? Ahhh, not again!
Weird Halloween snaps
- Clearly a fan of toilet humour
- Posture, weird bear thing, posture!
- Wave if you love Halloween!
- Halloween in natty Christmas knitwear...
- Looks like these crazy cats are heading gnome sweet gnome after a tough night tirck or treating
- Two tone giraffe
- Truly terrifying
- Possibly the best group costume EVER
- Mayo obviously didn't want to be pictured...
- Poor lambs
- Poor slightly odd pumpkin man with the rubbish costume
- You're gonna need a bigger bag...