Father fed baby bleach from bottle 'to help her chronic congestion'
A two-month-old baby is being treated in hospital after her father gave her bleach to drink – because he thought it would help her congested chest.
Carron Herman Washington, 20, of Ocala, Florida, was arrested and charged with aggravated child abuse after he confessed to pouring bleach into the child's baby bottle and feeding it to the child.
Police Lt. Scott Fosler said Washington had told investigators that he didn't mean to harm the child - he just hoped the bleach would help with the child's chronic congestion problems.
Police were called early on Sunday when emergency workers contacted investigators about the suspicious condition of the baby.
The child's mother, Therese Roberts, 20, told police that her daughter's loud crying woke her up at 2 a.m. and she got up to investigate.
She found Washington feeding the baby from her baby bottle. The mum took the child from her father and held her, patting her back. The baby then vomited and the mother told police she could smell bleach in the fluid from the baby's stomach.
She told police she also smelled bleach from the bottle.