Mum claims nursery child bit off her toddler's ear and ate it
Police are investigating a family's claim that a child ate part of their toddler's ear after ripping it off at nursery.
Daniyaal Abubaker, who will be two on Sunday, spent two days in hospital and needed 10 stitches after the injury to his right lobe at Mucky Pups Day Nursery in Birmingham.
His horrified mum Afsha, 26, said staff told her another child had bitten her son and it may have been 'eaten' by the offending child.
Afsha said: "We still don't know what happened to our son to this day, but to see your son in terrible pain with part of his ear missing was just horrific.
"I couldn't stop crying. Daniyaal has been left traumatised."
She said she received a call at around 11.30am on September 25 from nursery owner Paula Tidmus to say her son had injured his ear in a fall and that he 'might require stitches'.
But she claims her sister-in-law Madiha Hamid phoned the nursery shortly afterwards, only to be told Daniyaal had been punched.
Afsha also claims another sister-in-law, Arooj Arooj, picked injured Daniyaal up from the nursery, where Mrs Tidmus told her that he had been 'bitten' by another child there.
She said: "I contacted police as I have heard different versions of events and don't know exactly what happened to my son that day.
"When I spoke to Paula again, and asked her what had happened to the piece of ear, she said the child must have swallowed it."
Owner Paula Tidmus said: "I am making no comment as this is in the hands of my solicitors and insurers."
A spokesman for West Midlands Police said: "Specialist officers from West Midlands Police Public Protection Unit are reviewing an incident, in which a young child suffered an injury to his ear.
"Officers are in the process of contacting the family and relevant agencies, including Children's Social Care, as part of the ongoing inquiry."
Just days after the alleged incident, Ofsted inspectors visited the nursery and rated it 'inadequate'.
They also claimed risk assessments were not 'rigorous enough' and stated the nursery did not 'address all safety issues'.