Mum knows best: Which pearls of wisdom will you pass on to your children?
According to new research from Clinton Cards, we pass on an average 41 pearls of wisdom to our children throughout our lives, all taken from our own mums' advice which has been passed down through the generations.
"Always try your best" of course takes the number one spot, closely followed by "If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all" and "Get an education".
More than three quarters of us pass on these pearls of wisdom to our own children, and 43 per cent of us reckon we're actually turning into our mum (eeek!).
Do these top 50 sound familiar?
1. Always try your best
2. If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all
3. Get an education - no-one can take that away from you
4. Eat with your mouth closed
5. If you don't ask, you don't get
6. Never spend money you don't have
7. Never take sweets from strangers
9. Never swim on a full stomach
10. Treat people with respect
11. Always wear clean underwear
12. You never get something for nothing
13. I want never gets
14. Put money aside for a rainy day
15. Treat others how you wish to be treated yourself
16. There's no such word as 'can't'
17. Practice makes perfect
18. Mind your ps and qs
19. Never stare at people, it's rude
20. Watching too much TV will make your eyes go square
21. Mum knows best
22. Look after your pennies and the pennies will look after you
23. Be true to yourself
24. Always eat your breakfast
25. You only get out of life what you put into it
26. Never drink on an empty stomach
27. Courtesy and compassion cost nothing
28. Never leave the house with wet hair
29. Look up things you don't know the answer to
30. Never go to bed on an argument
31. Receive compliments gracefully
32. Life's too short to be unhappy
33. Don't eat cheese before bedtime
34. Always hold the door open
35. Never give up
36. Manners maketh the man
37. The grass is never greener
38. Give compliments easily
39. Never offer lifts to strangers
40. Always have two months' rent / mortgage saved
41. Men are very different creatures to women
42. Don't eat in the street
43. Always moisturise before bedtime
44. Always use your ears
45. Always keep a blanket in the car boot
46. Your friends are forever but men come and go
47. Never let your petrol tank go lower than a quarter full
48. The couple that plays together stays together
49. Set your watch two minutes fast
50. Always carry an umbrella with you
Do you have any others to share? Please tell us below...